Saturday, March 10, 2012

Crock Pot Turkey Barbecue

A while back I decided that boneless skinless turkey thighs were the new white meat. Endless possibilities! And then, just as soon as I bought them, all of my ideas fluttered out of the window. So for a few weeks they sat in my freezer, just staring me down while I suffered from recipe block.

Then, one day while pinning, I came across a recipe for crock pot pulled pork barbecue. Well, I guess someone paid the power bill because the light bulb over my head came back on - turkey thigh barbecue! Voila!

Crock Pot Turkey Barbecue


I made a red cabbage slaw to accompany the barbecue - delicious! We had it by itself and in sandwich form. Definitely a recipe I will be repeating.

Recipes after the jump:

Crock Pot Turkey Barbecue

4 Boneless Skinless Turkey Thighs
1 cup Root Beer Soda
1/2 bottle of your favorite Barbecue Sauce
2 Tbs Granulated Garlic
1/2 cup Water

Combine all ingredients in a crockpot and cook on low 4-6 hours or until the turkey is tender and shreds easily with a fork. Remove turkey thighs from cooking liquid and shred while still warm. Add enough cooking liquid to keep the meat moist, but not so much that it gets soupy. I garnished with pickles and avocado for a tangy/creamy balance.

Red Cabbage Slaw

1/2 head Red Cabbage, shredded
2 Turnips, shredded or small julienne
1 Granny Smith Apple, shredded or small julienne
1 stalk Celery, shredded
1 Carrot, shredded
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt (2% Chobani is my favorite!)
3 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tbs Ketchup
1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
Dash Salt/Pepper

Thoroughly mix vegetables. Combine Greek Yogurt, Ketchup, Coriander and S&P in a small mixing bowl. Toss vegetables with dressing and refrigerate for at least half an hour to let the flavors meld.




No comments:

Post a Comment