Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

Granted dishwasher detergent isn't quite as outrageously sell-your-first-born expensive as laundry detergent, if I can make it cheaper and better...I'm going to.

While perusing Pinterest the other day, I happened across a recipe for dishwasher detergent that not only had the ingredients but where to find a handy dispenser! All in all, the whole thing cost about $15 but makes a very big batch.

Here is the original post: Being Creative to Keep My Sanity: Dishwasher Detergent

1 big box Borax
1 big box Baking Soda
3 cups Epsom Salt
24 packets Unsweetened Lemonade Kool-Aid

Combine everything into a large container. Walmart has a great version with a pour spout for five bucks! This recipe can be used for housewarming gifts as well. Just split up the batch among a few large mason jars, tie on a tablespoon and voila!

Instead of Lemi-Shine (why buy, when you can MAKE!) I use a rinse agent consisting of white vinegar and a few drops of blue original Dawn Dish Soap or about 1 tsp of Dawn to 2 cups vinegar. Pour 1-2 Tbs into the rinse reservoir in your dishwasher or just pour it in the bottom. DO NOT OVER DO IT. Unless you want really, really clean kitchen floors. How do I know? Let's just say my kitchen floor is sparkling.

2 comments:

  1. I have cleaned my kitchen floor this way many times. Especially with liquid soap not designed for the dishwasher. Being surprised by the soap tidal waves always brings a smile . D H

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the humor in it :)

    ReplyDelete