Saturday, November 3, 2012

Vegetable Starter!



Carrots, Celery and Onion - the universal vegetable trio. It is the start of great soups, stews, sautes, stuffings, etc. Unfortunately, I always seem to end up needing this mix just after I have cleared out my refrigerator of the leftover carrots, celery and onion from the LAST time I made something with it. I don't like to eat raw celery and I forget about carrots, therefore I end up with shriveled, petrified carrots and limp celery lurking like lagoon-creatures deep down in the far reaches of my crisper drawer. And I REFUSE to buy the pre-cut little packages of vegetables at the store for oh-so-many reasons. So..what to do? FREEZE THEM! Little known fact, if you are going to cook them - vegetables and fruits can be frozen. In fact, freezing them first cuts down on cooking time! And freezing them pre-cut and mixed cuts down on prep time! Win, win, double win!

Mirepoix (fancy French term for the mix)

2 lbs Carrots, diced
1 bunch Celery, diced
2 medium Onions, diced

Combine all the ingredients in a gallon size ziploc bag and toss in the freezer. After they are completely frozen, whack the bag (gently) on the counter like you would a bag of ice. From then on, any time you need the mix, scoop out however much the recipe calls for (approximately) and voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment